Growing Your Dream
This article appeared in the Summer 2001 issue of Spirited Solutions’ -Newsletter.
It’s been an exciting second quarter! I appreciate the support that so many of you have given me, and am happy to report that Spirited Solutions™ is flourishing. For those of you who are feeling the stirrings of your own calling, may I suggest that you LISTEN and ACT! Spring is the perfect time to grow your dream. I encourage you to commit to taking just one or two steps forward.
Some easy steps to nurture your dream with positive, galvanizing action are:
- Write a mission statement. See any of Stephen Covey’s books to help you with this, or come see me for a powerful mission-oriented counseling session.
- Take a one-night course at the Durham Tech Small Business Center (919-686-3448 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 919-686-3448 end_of_the_skype_highlighting). The courses are offered at almost no cost (the SBC is subsidized) and are invaluable.
- Read a book that ignites your dream. I highly recommend Barbara Sher’s Wishcraft: How to Get What You Really Want, Marsha Sinetar’s To Build the Life You Want, Create the Work You Love, Les Brown’s Live Your Dreams, or Justine Willis Toms and Michael Toms’ True Work: The Sacred Dimension of Earning a Living.
- Commit to spending one hour a week (make it fun!) journaling, brainstorming, or planning for your dream. Be outrageous! Your creativity will bring you marvelous rewards.
- Contact someone you know who is doing what you would like to do or something similar and invite them to lunch. Ask how they got started and tell them (enthusiastically!) about your dream. Inspire and uplift each other as you share succulent stories and food.
The most important thing is that you COMMIT to moving forward with your life’s purpose by taking action. A simple prayer followed by a phone call can set things in motion, moving you towards a life that surpasses your wildest imaginings!